big octopus

big octopus

Friday, April 1, 2011

Abstract Wire Form Sculpture


working title: Flame The genesis of this piece is interesting to me. Originally I was attempting to make a scorpion. The inspiration for the scorpion came to me from my girlfriends former employer. The scorpion didn't work-(obviously) I wasn't happy with , so it sat on a shelf for a few months. One day i picked it back up and I just started adding wire, & adding more wire, just letting my hands go, to see where it took me. I like the it so far-(i don't think it's done yet) it kinda resembles a music note or a very stylized flame. I am adding small spheres to the bottom of it to act as stabilizers or feet. When laying on it's side the spheres kinda look like eyes, and it looks like skeletonized partial fish or sorts . . . This piece stands 20" high, and has the circumference of large coffee can app. 6 spools of wire were used, . . . so roughly 3000 feet of wire . . . .

In this you can see the vague musical note shape




No comments:

Post a Comment